Frequently asked questions about Flaminal®
How to use
return to questions
How should I use Flaminal® Hydro or Flaminal® Forte?
Good to know:
- Rinse and clean the wound (e.g. with Flamirins®).
- If heavily infected, consult your doctor or wound clinician, You may have to apply an antiseptic, leave it for a few minutes and rinse to remove the antiseptic.
- Carefully dab the wound dry.
- Apply a thick layer (0.5cm) of Flaminal® Hydro and Flaminal® Forte.
- Fix with an appropriate dressing, depending on the type of wound:
- Dry wound: transparent film (polyurethane) or paraffin gauze fixed by a non-adhesive bandage
- Slightly exuding: non-woven gauze fixed by a non-adhesive bandage or by a hypoallergenic, adhesive tape
Moderately exuding: absorbent, non-adherent compress fixed by a non-adhesive bandage or a hypoallergenic, adhesive tape.
- Heavily exuding: non-woven gauze fixed by a non-adhesive bandage or by a hypoallergenic, adhesive tape
- Very heavily exuding: absorbent non-adherent compress fixed by a non-adhesive bandage or a hypoallergenic, adhesive tape
- Check the dressing daily. Renew Flaminal® Hydro and Flaminal® Forte whenever the gel structure has altered.
- The wound may initially appear larger. This is the normal consequence of the debriding action of Flaminal® Hydro or Forte which causes dead tissue to be absorbed.
- The colour may change and a sweetish odour may be produced.
- Dry wax-like flakes (flakes of alginates) may appear.
- This is acceptable if they are found at the wound margins, as they will protect the wound margins from maceration.
- If the flakes appear in the wound itself, you should change to Flaminal® Hydro and/or use a moisture-retaining dressing or bandage (e.g. Vaseline gauze, PU film).
Copyright Flen Pharma